Sunday, September 25, 2016

Too Many Emotions


  Agent 54 here again.  I’ve been around for a while now and I’ve come to the conclusion that there are just too many emotions involved in human existence.
  Sure, there are some emotions that people like.  Love, satisfaction, happiness, joy, excited and full come to mind but, these positive emotions are overwhelmed by negative emotions like, hate, disappointment, anger, sadness, frustration, irked, perturbed, disgusted, offended, confusion, embarrassment, envy, jealousy, and not full.  Why so many negatives?  It’s not fair.

  The second problem with all these emotions is severity.  There are too many highs and lows because people take these emotions to extremes.   Even love.  I know you love your little Chihuahua but, carrying it around in public or in your purse is going too far.  Likewise, I understand you hate my cigar smoke but, banning smoking in every building in the country is a little extreme, don’t ya think?

Emotions at work suck too.  You know what happens.  If you show that you are happy, people around the water cooler start gossiping about who’s butt your kissing and how you got your last promotion.  How do you prove you’re not a “brown- noser”?  If you show you’re unhappy you get labeled as disgruntled or a trouble-maker.  If you show up with a hangover 3 or 4 times a week, you get labeled as an alcoholic.  Is that fair?

  Sometimes I get confused wondering about which emotions or how much emotion people expect to see from me in certain situations.  Example:  You tell me your dog died.  I don’t like dogs but, I like you.  So I fake empathy for your dog while Bob, my favorite voice in my head, is telling me that you should just go to the animal shelter and pick out a new, totally dependent, dirty and dumb animal to chew on your new shoes and crap on your carpet.  Of course I have to suppress Bob because you would freak out if I told you Muffy or Dogzilla was no more important or hard to replace than your favorite reclining chair.  Oh great!  Now the dog lovers are offended.  I’m Sorry (am I really sorry or just faking it?).  Great!  Now you know what it’s like to be confused like me.      

  Emotions can make you do some dumb stuff.  Raise your hand if you grow your hair long now to cover that tattoo that says “I love Gertrude” or “Leroy & Me” on your neck.  I myself once got so angry at someone that I punched a solid oak door and broke my hand.  Pretty dumb.  In fact, that’s so dumb I’m going to deny that I did that.  Oh, BTW, you can put your hands down now.  Yeah, I didn’t break my hand.  That was Stu, one of the other voices in my head.  See, emotions can make you tell lies.

  Expressing emotions correctly can be difficult too.  Have you ever accidentally used the wrong emoji?  Do you even know what an emoji is?  What about our facial expressions?  All of our faces are different.  What if I drink too much coffee (is that possible?) and develop a twitch in my eye?  You might think I’m winking at you and then the next thing you know, we’re engaged to be married.  Who needs that pressure!

So, I’ve been thinking about a solution to the problem of Too Many Emotions and I’ve decided that sorting and restricting the severity of individual emotions is too complicated and just won’t work.  My idea is to restrict myself to just two basic emotions in an effort to control the highs and lows of life.  From now on my two emotions are going to be Full and Not Full.

  FYI:  Full is what you are after going to Taco Bell and Not Full is what you are before you go to Taco Bell.  I believe that limiting yourself to just these two basic emotions could lead to a more even and sane life.  I think Mr. Spock would agree.

  So who is going to join me in this noble experiment?  Who is brave enough?  Please follow my lead and return to this blog post to record your experiences in the comments section twice a week for the next 20 years.   


Good luck.  I appreciate your support.

42 comments:

  1. I tend to use :) :( & :/ :)

    I also use omoji but with my "not too good eyesight" and "small screen" on my smartphone I have probably sent the wrong ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope emoji errors don't get you into too much trouble.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  2. I send the wrong ones all the time. It's the way I roll.

    You appear to have lots of personalities by the way. That rocks. Never a dull moment.

    Have a fabulous Silly Sunday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People should not hold other's emojis against them.

      Thank for all your support and have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked that. Wait,,,that was a couple of emotions. Darn!

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  4. Day one of experiment: Woke up feeling Not Full. As a person who owns dirty dumb animals that are also Not Full, I had to delay the attempt to change my emotion until the beasts were under control. Since Taco Bell closed in this town, I had to settle for a day-old cinnamon roll. This led me to feel angry that Taco Bell closed. Also lost - What will I do when I've run out of the supply of Fire Sauce packets in my fridge?
    My conclusion after one day of experimenting: Not Full leads to experiencing other emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feed-back. I believe limiting our emotions might be a gradual process.

      Wishing you better luck on day 2.

      Delete
  5. Heeheehee! Sorry i can't bring myself to join you in this experiment, because i like the emotion of happy when i laugh too much to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Is understanding an emotion? Well, the experiment isn't for everybody.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Hahaha... Who needs emotions now we have emoji's anyway? #AnythingGoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now I just have to figure which emoji means what.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You're too kind.

      Thank you for allowing me to share.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Ha! Great thoughts as we do carry some things in life a little bit too far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, too many thoughts and emotions floating around. Why do we need all these conflicts. I like the taco bell analogy. Not full vs full, although surely that's a feeling not an emotion. Sorry! I shouldn't have pointed that out. I hope I haven't made you angry or sad....!

    Sally @ Life Loving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not angry or sad, I'm not full. Full and not full are feelings and that is what emotions are, are they not?

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  10. Wait... I feel an emotion reading this blog.... much better, now I can flush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, glad to be of service.

      Thanks for uh, doing what you do do.

      Delete
  11. Hilarious and full of emotion...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Full of the emotion full? I guess that's okay.

      Thanks for more confusion. Please come back early and often.

      Delete
  12. I don't think its so much emotions that are the problem, but other people's reactions to them, like with your example about work. The key is to stop worrying so much about what other people think and just feel what you feel
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting theory. When this experiment is over (in 20 years) I may explore that one next.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Yes, especially deep fried emojis.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  14. But that list in Facebook of all those emotions you can express to a list of friends that could care less...what will we do with that list? (insert winky face emoji - and no, I'm not proposing...I'm already hitched!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to work on you about this.

      Thanks for the data.

      Delete
  15. Haha I never gave it much thought really but now I might!! Thanks for linking up #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to make you think. Was that too much emotion? Darn!

      Thanks for allowing me to share.

      Delete
  16. Life really is full of highs and lows... we're just along for the ride. Thanks so much for linking up to #BestofBlogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you comment on what I write, that is a high.

      Thank you for allowing me to share.

      Delete
  17. Hello Timothy. I agree that emotions can be a tricky thing but those same emotions are what makes us human. I'm an animal lover and believe me when I tell you that there's a huge difference between an animal and a chair. Animals feel love, pain, sadness and anger just like we do. A chair does not. I'm sorry you don't know that. And I've known some men that are dumber and dirtier than any dog I've ever had. Feeling lots of emotions and going through highs and lows is just part of life. How people handle and react to different emotions can turn a simple, mild situation into a terrible one. We just need to learn to deal with our emotions and those of other people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Emojis tenmore the merrier :) Tell Stu to shut up and Come play over at mine. Thaks for sharing at the pit stop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. Your data is very important to the success of the project.

      Delete
  19. I have definitely been guilty of too much emotion from time to time. Just the two could be an interesting experiment! And Taco Bell...I haven't been there since 2000 (we don't have them in the UK). I recall being very impressed with it back then but I suspect it may just have been the novelty. Thanks for linking with #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to get together for a Taco sometime.

      Thanks for allowing me to share.

      Delete
  20. Hehe, I think I could get down with this experiment - emotions are at the root of most problems, Mr Spock would understand.

    Thanks so much for sharing over at Friday Frivolity this week too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have your input on my little project.

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  21. Interesting thought but life would be very boring I think! Thank you for joining the #weekendblogshare

    ReplyDelete