Sunday, December 18, 2016

T.V. Rots Your Brain!

Bruce Springsteen

  The Boss, Bruce Springsteen sang, “there’s 57 channels and nothing on”.

  Agent 54 here again.  Okay, I admit it.  Have watched and I do watch way too much T.V. and it has probably rotted my brain somewhat.  Though I do have other hobbies like blogging, hiking, treasure hunting and writing, sometimes I’m tired and I just want to sit in my recliner and watch T.V.  Since most of today’s shows are boring, I often find myself falling asleep in my recliner.  This is probably the best use of today’s dumb T.V. shows.

  I want to believe my viewing habits are a little more enlightened than most people’s but, maybe not.  I don’t watch much usual T.V. like the evening sitcoms or soap operas or the Hallmark channel because I have found that there are only about 35 story plot lines in regular T.V. and the shows just insert different characters into the same plot lines.  Though I often enjoy writing about T.V. characters from my past, today’s characters all seem to be watered down versions of those I enjoyed as a child or teen. T.V. characters became stale to me after “All in the Family” with Carroll O’Connor as Archie Bunker ended.

 
Chef Ramsay 
Sometimes I like to watch “Reality T.V.” like the competition cooking shows but, of course there is nothing real about them.  How many times have you had to make a Chocolate Soufflé in 2 and half minutes?  I don’t pretend to know what they are talking about on these shows either.  I still don’t know what a Crème Brule is.  I saw one show where they made a smoothie using moose and sushi and they called it a Mooshi.  I would like to try that recipe.

  Sometimes my wife forces me to watch these “Housewives of  Wherever” shows where rich and spoiled women argue about the rotten things they say about each other.  Sometimes that ultra – stupidity is funny though I admit that I’m jealous of  them.  Why do these idiots get to be wealthy.  I’m a much better person than they are.  I would make a fine millionaire.  That is my big idea for a reality show.  Someone should give me a million dollars and then follow me around with a camera to see what happens.  If you happen to have a million dollars and a T.V. camera, have your people call my people.

  I try to watch the History Channel or Discovery Science when I can but, my wife hates those channels because she’s afraid she might learn something.   “Can’t you just turn your brain off and watch T.V.”  she will bellow.  Sometimes I wish I could.

  I like to watch sports but, I’ve seen so much that that can become boring too. Occasionally I get lucky and find a great movie like “Forrest Gump” or “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” or “Willie Wonka” or “Blazing Saddles” but those times are few and far between.  Ah, they just don’t make movies like they used to.

 The News?  What is The News anymore.  The last election cycle was brutal for T.V.  News.  It has become all opinion and Bullshit anymore.  It’s hard to find worse people than today’s T.V. or Newspaper Reporters.  They will incite violence and stupidity for a good live shot.  You would have to watch “The Housewives of New Jersey” to find worse people on T.V.   Watching todays T.V. News you can see America being dumbed down minute by minute.

   Of course the purpose of T.V. is to get you to buy stuff.  I do find some of the endless commercials to be funny and I can resist most of them, with the possible exception of Taco Bell commercials but, many people are tricked into doing foolish things by the devious advertisers.  The Capital One credit card ads with Samuel L. Jackson are the worst.  This guy is yelling at me with his condescending tone to get a credit card and a line of credit that I don’t deserve, to buy stuff I can’t afford.  When he asks “What’s in your wallet?” I shout at the T.V. “none of your business, jackass!”  Uh oh.  Yelling at the T.V.  Is that a sign of brain rot? 

   So, I find myself turning the idiot box off more and more and just listening to music on my computer as I write.  Living in Arizona, I’m lucky enough to be able to spend some time outdoors away from the T.V. too but, I often see zombies hooked on their rotten shows watching them outside on their “Smart Phones”.  This is much more expensive than watching at home and they are watching on a tiny screen with all kinds of distractions around.   I have to ask, who is smarter, the viewers or the phones?

  After examining the deterioration of the programming and T.V.’s overall effects on our society, I have to believe that now, more than ever, Mrs. Sturak is right.  “T.V. rots your brain!”




20 comments:

  1. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. No television because with television you're watching one huge commercial after another. There isn't anything worth watching most of the time. So we watch a television series a show or two each day. Works for us. We are currently watching 24.

    Have a terrific Silly Sunday and don't let the television rot your brain. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will be going outside soon.

      Thanks for playing and have a Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I watch tons of TV, usually with my computer on my lap and half the time it is background noise. I have to learn to put down the computer or turn off the TV, whichever is worse (or better) at the time.

    I do like lots of brain rotting stuff, it may be too late for me. I like the cooking shows, but can't for the life of me find out what the crap "creme fresh" is. Apparently whenever you add it to anything you are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you find out what "creme fresh" is, let me know. I'm doubly pathetic about cooking because my daughter is a pastry chef and she has explained this to me and I still don't get it.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  3. It won't relax you per se, but when I need to stop using my brain I watch the Alex Jones show on infowars.com . Extremely enlightening news and geopolitical analysis. Never any fluff news, only the big picture commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What channel is that show on?

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  4. I don't watch TV anymore, if I want to hear the news I just look at it on social media. I prefer to watch movies on Netflix, DVDs or play video games. Funny is that people (especially parents) say that video games rot your brain when the truth is at least video games require you to think about how you're going to get past an obstacle and beat your opponent. Most people who claim to think video games are brain-rotting are those who watch too much TV. IMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your discipline.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  5. This is why i gave up TV. Better to read the newspaper -- it has the added advantage of a comics page and a puzzle page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I have to try to watch less.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  6. I watch more TV in the winter but I tend to either record commercial TV so I can fast forward the ads or I watch BBC or Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in Arizona I can still go outside in winter.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  7. I think that TV is actually a competition. They just want to see much stupidity they can get away with. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a limit. Here's their plan for sci fi: come up with a story, forget to tie any pieces together, destroy all credibility, assume the person watching can't think, throw in some special effects and expect to win awards. Or was that the news?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupidity and TV know no bounds.
      What is news what is propaganda? Who knows anymore.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  8. When you wrote, "I saw one show where they made a smoothie using moose and sushi and they called it a Mooshi." my old Tv-rotted brain thought of https://youtu.be/oOfuoA146Y0?t=1m6s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm enjoying a Mooshi right now.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  9. I have stopped watching Hells Kitchen as Gordon seems to shout and swear just because it makes "great tv" I quite liked Masterchef USA but the Australian version is much better (even better than the UK original concept).

    I watch some reality shows - but not the housewife ones or Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Masterchef is a much better show. I was amazed by the Masterchef Junior series. Those kids were so talented.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  10. I was almost completely off television until Netflix came to town. Then a year ago, this curious invention called an 'Android Box' supplanted Netflix. I've watched entire seasons of shows I'd never even heard of before, and movies from just about every country imaginable. 2017 will be a year of stepping back into the real world, I like your idea of listening to music and writing more. I might just try it. All the best in 2017 my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support and let's have a great new year!

      Delete