Sunday, September 1, 2013

Confession

  Agent 54 here again.  I have to confess.  I am a liar, thief and a cheat.  Stop!  Stop checking your wallets, purses and murses.  I am a liar, thief and a cheat of comedy!  You could say I lie because I make stuff up and I steal from other comedians so I’m a thief and I cheat by using characters and material that somebody else previously created. 

  Look at my posting Houston, We Have a Problem.  This one is taken from an old Steve Martin skit that he did on Saturday Night Live many years ago.  I put my own spin on it but, basically it is his idea and words.  I felt a little guilty about that one so I “tweeted” Steve to apologize.  I wrote to Steve:  I borrowed this routine from you.  I only steal from the best and the others.  He didn’t get back to me yet.

  In Dumbest Question Ever Asked I lied to you there.  I’ve never been on Jeopardy.  I didn’t lose $728,000.00 to Alex Trebek.  I did give comedian George Wallace credit for his joke that I used but, I kinda used that credit to spin and expand on the joke.  Why did I do this?  I thought it was funny.
In Voices I stole this joke from Dave Attel: At least it’s not the voice that stutters.  That one is so annoying.  It’s like Ti,,Ti,,,Ti,,,     Hey! Write down already!

  Okay, be totally honest here.  Raise your hand if you have repeated a joke you heard somebody else tell.  Yeah, just as I thought, everybody.

W.C. Fields

 The truth is that it is very hard to come up with something totally original because comedy is very, very, very old.  Ever since the first coconut fell from the first palm tree and hit the first caveman on the head, causing his buddies to roll in the sand laughing so hard their ribs hurt, comedy has been getting old.

  Truth is that even professional comedians steal, or borrow if you prefer, from each other.  If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then my victims ought to be proud that I would choose their material to swipe.

  So, I say go ahead and lie, steal and cheat!  It’s all in fun.  In fact I say if you are going to be a liar, thief and a cheat of comedy, go all out and try to be the best liar, thief and a cheat of comedy in the world.  Go big or go home.
Mr Bean


  Therefore I give you full warning that I look forward to lying to you, stealing from or for you and cheating great comedians for you in the hopes of giving you side-splitting fits of laughter.  I hope that is okay with you.




24 comments:

  1. You really need to stop lying it isn't good for you..checks pockets and wallet before leaving blog

    Have a fibtastic week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! I'll just call it Fibbing. You are a genius.

      Thanks for visiting and have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Works for me. I do the same thing. Okay, I like to call it fibbing.

    Have a terrific day filled with lying, cheating and stealing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, don't well all. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. It's okay to steal comedy as long as you credit the creator. A lot of the humor on my blog is original, but not 100%.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean I should post:
      Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, or simply Anchorman, is a 2004 comedy film directed by Adam McKay, produced by Judd Apatow, starring Will Ferrell, and written by Adam McKay and Will Ferrell.

      and thank them for allowing me to run the Ron Burgundy for President in 2016 Campaign.

      Okay, I can do that.

      Delete
  4. What an honest person to fess up that you are a cheat and a liar. HMMMM...I am not sure that talking on a blog about something you found funny consitutes lying when you give credit to your sources. . Either way, I don't pass judgement on that sort of thing. I agree, that is is difficult to come up with anything that is 100 percent unique. It never fails that I think I have come up with a one of a kind post, only to listen to some of the same points 3 days later on the Jay Leno show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you accusing Jay Leno of being the same as me? Thank You.

      I'm gonna go with Steve an call it "fibbing" and I'm having a blast doing it.

      Delete
  5. You can take your $278,000 to the bank of honesty, well done grasshopper, hmmm, grasshopper, that could be a blog story, blink, blink........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, grasshopper? Grasshopper? Oh now I have to give you credit for that one. Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I would take either $278,000.00 or $728,000.00 to the bank.

      Delete
  7. Lie? Cheat? Steal? Sound like most of our politicians to me. Then again, some of them act like comedians. Bad ones at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So here I am a failed Politician trying to be a comedian. Seems almost poetic, don't it.

      Delete
  8. I love it anyways! You have to get inspiration from somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I guess I could have called myself a "recycler" of comedy but that's not really funny.

      Delete
  9. Every joke I've ever told I swiped from somewhere. On the distant day I come up with something original someone will swipe it from me. (Or maybe not, it'll probably suck!) If comedy is good, it just lives on like that.

    That's my excuse, anyway! ;)

    Thanks so much for linking up over at Friday Frivolity too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for allowing me to share my silliness.

      Please come back early and often.

      Delete
  10. It is true, Agent 54! Everyone steals or rather "borrows" in comedy. Milton Berle was famous for it. Unfortunately, Carlos Mencia got drummed out of town for it. I enjoy your stuff and since you put your own spin on it, you've made it your own anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again. I was watching Gabriel Iglesias aka "Fluffy" last night. He cracks me up.

      Delete
  11. I love the comedic honesty in your post. I'm a fan of "borrowing" great material from others, as long as you give credit! Keep up the funny work, and putting your own spin on comedy classics!
    #ALittleBitofEverything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you approved of my madness.

      Thanks for playing.

      Delete
  12. I like the text about the voices in our minds. What can we do without these voices 😊
    deriasworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do everything with them.

      Thank you for visiting and Bob says than you too.

      Delete